Monday, May 30, 2011

Organic Gummy Bears

Today is Memorial Day, a national holiday of remembrance and the unofficial start of summer.  Ordinarily, I would be having a cook-out with my family and relishing a day off. But due to the way the calendar falls this year,  I will be in class tonight instead teaching Tribal Level 1 - just like most Monday nights.  I decided that I wanted to reward those intrepid students who will skip out on the burgers and beers and join me in class. But how? Luckily for me, when I went to the store today I spied a bag of organic gummy bears. Perfect. Who doesn't like organic gummy bears?  And what better way to reward the students who do come to class tonight?

Which got me to thinking- what motivates you to come to class on a regular basis (let alone on a star-spangled holiday)?   It can't just be organic gummy bears (although they are yummy!)  And if you aren't taking classes regularly right now, why not?  For me personally, I take classes that I find mentally and physically challenging, ones in which the teacher seems joyful and motivated to be there, ones that put a smile on my face even when I am cursing under my breath, and ones in which I can connect to the material, the ambiance and the people around me.  But that's just me.  I would love to hear what makes YOU take time out of your busy life to spend an hour or so in class- either at WIM or elsewhere. So feel free to chime in!

 In the meantime, I hope your Memorial Day is (was) a time for remembrance, full of gratitude for the sacrifice of others on our behalf,  enjoyment of good food, friends and family - and gummy bears :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment