Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My Love Letter to World In Motion and to Bellydance, by Heather Murphy

This blog is part of a series of postings from World In Motion students about taking a break from the studio and what made them want to return...


Time flies by, especially since my now 6 month old son was born.  In the midst of doing repetitive, mindless tasks like changing diapers everyday, I keep trying to capture and treasure important moments.  Sometimes I am able to capture his smile with my iPhone, an instant Facebook post; sometimes it is just a sunny Sunday picnic with my husband and boy that I want to hold in my heart and memory forever.
For me, that is how bellydance feels.  A series of little moments, knowing glances exchanged with your partners, shared smiles, electric energy, all felt in just that instant.  It is the definition of living in the present, feeling the joy of the dance, together.
For all of my classmates and troupemates, dancing gives us time away from life's distractions- a lousy day at work, a sick child, car problems, house payments- it helps move life's challenges into the background, because all you have is now.  You focus on catching the next move, staying in time with your partner's hips.
Dance, the studio, my Saturday morning Advanced Tribal family- they were the one constant in my life after having my son, Sean.  Now a mostly stay-at-home/sometimes work-from-home mom, I was used to working a full-time job as a college administrator and instructor and helping run our beloved little dance studio.  I used to eat all my meals at my desk, or in the car on the way to somewhere else.  Now, I am still crazy busy, but in a completely different way.
I think I enjoy life more.  Instead of stressing about work politics, unreliable team members, and troublesome students, I go for walks with my boy.  We smell the roses and honeysuckle, I explain to him about colors and animal noises.  And I dance.
When I couldn't dance- in the few weeks before and after Sean's birth- I didn't feel like myself.  My whole identity had changed, but I needed to retain at least this one piece of it.
I definitely would not be myself without WIM and my weekly dose of Advanced Tribal class.  The ladies in it are not just my classmates, they are my friends, my instant sisters.  Many of us have danced together for over 6 years.  We've experienced loss, joys, sickness, abundance and struggle together.  They kept me whole, encouraged me to get back to dance, to do something for myself, and were patient as I caught up.
I felt how easy it would be to give up.  I was tired, overwhelmed, a little person needed me, I hadn't showered for some time...All excuses I'm glad I ignored.  And there was my dance family every week welcoming me to shimmy and sway with them again like we hadn't missed a beat.
They helped me be Heather for a couple of hours, rather than a mom, wife, daughter, teacher, or whatever label my obligations placed on me.
I am truly grateful for World In Motion, for being able to help build it, and to keep dancing there, and for finding myself there again every week.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you are dancing again! Living in the moment and enjoying life's simple pleasures will take you through most of the struggles we all face. Enjoy your precious boy, but always take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete